Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Unidentified by Rae Mariz


Pages: 296
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenges: N/A

Kid knows her school’s corporate sponsors not-so-secretly monitor her friendships and activities for market research. It’s all a part of the Game; the alternative education system designed to use the addictive kick from video games to encourage academic learning. Everyday, a captive audience of students ages 13-17 enter the nationwide chain store-like Game locations to play. 

When a group calling themselves The Unidentified simulates a suicide to protest the power structure of their school, Kid’s investigation into their pranks attracts unwanted attention from the sponsors. As Kid finds out she doesn't have rights to her ideas, her privacy, or identity, she and her friends look for a way to revolt in a place where all acts of rebellion are just spun into the next new ad campaign.

Stars: 3/5
Cover: A-

Plot:
Katey (Kid) participates in something called "the Game," where her and her friends test out high-tech products inside a refurbished mall. 

All is great, until a prank is pulled by people who call themselves the "Unidentified" (Hence, the title of the book). Then, Kid starts questioning everything about the way the Game works. 

As she starts to figure out who the Unidentified are, she begins to befriend them and see what she was too ignorant to see before.

The idea behind The Unidentified was pretty unique. I loved the whole dystopian, tech-y thing going on in this book.

But, I felt like the story got kind of dull in the middle and towards the end, so it was a little tough to get through it.

But, I pushed through the tough spots, and I'm really glad, too. 

Characters:
I loved the characters in this book. They were all so original and likable (well, most of them). They were pretty easy to relate to, and I loved the connections they all had with each other.

Also, the characters said some pretty funny things.

Writing:
The writing in this book was pretty good. Rae Mariz knows how to create an awesome dystopian world, down to the futuristic hairstyles. 

She made me want to be in Kid's world and experience The Game.

Ending:
The ending to the book was so-so. I think it tied up the book nicely (especially the last chapter) but it wasn't as climatic as I was expecting/hoping it to be.

Cover:
I love the cover for this book! It's really high-tech and modern-looking, and it completely goes with what the story's about.

I also love that the numbers along the side are the ISBN number.

Lovely Line:
Elijah didn't seem to notice the elaborate ritual taking place on Sophia's plate. He was probably used to it. But I had to ask, "Why are you skinning your pizza?"

"I like to deconstruct my food into as its composite parts when possible. There's an elemental purity to the act, and the essences of the ingredients are better appreciated separately."

"Oh." I watched her cut a small piece off her cheese heap and nibble it carefully.

"How do you eat soup?" Mikey asked.

"She hates soup." Elijah seemed amused.

"I don't hate it," Sophia said defensively. "I just don't trust it. I mean, what's it trying to hide?"
(Pages 137-138)

I love this quote because it shows the quirkiness of some of the characters.

The Final Verdict:
I would recommend you read this book. It was amusing, and the characters practically made the book. Though I gave it three stars, I still liked it, and I think dystopian fans will, too.

FTC: I received this book from Zoe.

1 comment:

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)