Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad

Pages: 309
Publisher: Harper
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: February 2, 2o1o

How Sweet it is?

Jane Roberts was the average girl next door until she and her best friend, Scarlett Harp, landed their own reality show, L.A. Candy. Now the girls have an all-access pass to Hollywood's hottest everything. But there's more to life on camera than just parties and shopping. . . .
When racy photos of Jane are leaked to the press, she finds herself at the center of a tabloid scandal. She turns to her co-star Madison Parker for help, unaware that Madison is scheming behind the scenes. She might be Jane's shoulder to cry on, but does Madison really have Jane's back?

Scarlett's working on a scandal of her own. She's fallen for someone who's strictly off-limits—which means Scarlett has a big secret to keep . . . from the L.A. Candy cameras, the paparazzi staking out her apartment, even from her best friend.

Of course, nothing stays secret for long for the stars of the newest hit TV series, and all this drama couldn't be better for ratings. But can Jane survive another season in the spotlight?

In television star Lauren Conrad's dishy, entertaining novel about young Hollywood, the lies are only as sweet as the people telling them.

Stars: 4/5
Cover: A-

Plot:
Ever since the pictures of Jane and Braden were leaked, Jane's life has been crazy-hectic. She constantly has her face in the paper, she has to try to re-gain her "America's Sweetheart" image, she has best friends mad at her, "best friends" stabbing her in the back, and an unhealthy relationship with Jesse.

Sweet Little Lies is a book that runs on scandals, gossip, and love triangles, and Lauren Conrad can completely pull it off. This book is fast-paced, fun, and it completely sucks you in.

Characters:
Jane is naive and sweet, but she also has backbone, which I love. She is easy to relate to, and you can't help but love her. 

But as Jane and Madison (a.k.a. the she-devil) become closer friends, Scarlett and Jane drift farther apart. I can really understand where Scarlett's frustration towards Jane and Madison comes from, because, even as a reader, it frustrates me. I just want to shout at Jane, "Madison's not really your friend! She's stabbing you in the back!"

I can only hope that in the third book, Madison gets what's coming to her.

Writing:
The L.A. Candy series is written in third person, but you can still sense the characters' personalties through Lauren Conrad's writing. I love that, because in a lot of books written in third-person, you don't really feel connected to the characters, but that's definitely not the case here.

Ending:
The ending leaves me going crazy wanting to read the third (and LAST!) book in the series, Sugar and Spice. It's currently waiting for me near the top of TBR-stack, and I can practically hear it calling out to me.

Lauren Conrad is great at cliff-hanger endings, and I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Cover:
The covers to this series are all gorgeous. They are simple, yet bold, with just one pop of pink or red color.

Lovely Line:
"So why don't you tell him you're sorry?" Gaby suggested.

"Uh  . . . because he probably never wants to speak to me again?"

"How do you know? Do you have a fifth sense, too?"

Scarlett sighed. "No. And I think it's a sixth sense."

"No, I don't see dead people. It's different. Anyway, look, if you like him, and he likes you, just tell him you're sorry. Give him a chance. If he's such a nice guy, he'll probably forgive you, right?"
(Page 232)

The Final Verdict:
This entire series is wonderful. I wish more people would look past the fact that it's written by Lauren Conrad, and automatically assume this book is going to suck. If you can just put the name aside, and focus on the actual content of this book, I really think you'd enjoy it.

FTC: Bought.

1 comment:

  1. I love Lauren! I've been wanting to read her books, but haven't gotten around to it. Think I will soon-- thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)