Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Pages: 441
Publisher: Harper
Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: February 1, 2o11

Love. It kills both when you have it
and when you don't.

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. 

Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Stars: 4.5/5
Cover: A

Plot:
Lena lives in a dystopian society: Earth in the near future, where as soon as people turn eighteen, they get a surgery that "cures" them of love.

Lena (short for Magdalena) can't wait to have her surgery. That is, until she meets Alex. As she starts falling for him, she starts dreading her surgery date. He introduces her to the world of the "Invalids" --- people who refused to get cured and live wild outside of the gates of the community --- and love, something she never thought she would experience.

I really, really liked this book. "Really" isn't even a strong enough adjective to describe how much I liked it!
But, the first pages were a little difficult to get through --- not because it was bad writing, or that the story was boring, but for whatever reason, I had trouble getting into the beginning.
 
After about eighty pages, it started picking up for me. I had read it for three hours straight --- it was that good. I just couldn't put it down!
 
Characters:
I really felt like I could relate to Lena. She had good qualities and was likable, but not too likable to the point where her character becomes unrealistic. Also, her relationships with the other characters were extremely believable.

Writing:
The way Lauren Oliver writes is captivating. I found myself thinking about this book for days after I had finished it. She uses descriptive words that make the story vivid and lively. Lauren made me feel like I was actually standing in Portland, Maine, with Lena.


Delirium was the perfect mix of romance and suspense. This book uses pretty intelligent words, but they flow with the story --- it doesn't feel like the bigger words were just thrown in there.

Now I seriously can't wait to read Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver's debut novel that came out in 2010. (It's being moved up in my TBR stack!)

Ending:
Oh my goodness. I don't think I breathed at all in the last ten pages! The book ended in a cliffhanger, and now I don't think I'll be able to wait for the sequel, Pandemonium, to come out in 2012. That seems so far away! 

Cover:
The ARC cover is different than the finalized version, but I love both of them! They're both gorgeous, and the font on both of them is very pretty.

If I had my choice, though, I would have to say that the ARC cover is prettier. Here's a little snapshot I took with my phone:


You may have to tilt your head. :)
The picture doesn't do the cover any justice, trust me.

Lovely Line:
"Would you like some water?" Evaluator One, the woman, gestures to a bottle of water and a glass set up on the table. She has noticed my momentary flinch, but it's okay. My personal statement is done, and I can tell by the way the evaluators are looking at me --- pleased, proud, like I'm a little kid who has managed to fit all the right pegs in all the right holes --- that I've done a good job.
(Page 32)

The Final Verdict: 
Delirium left a big impact on me. It's definitely a thought-provoking book. I ended up spending a lot of time wondering what our current world would be like without love, and how it would effect my family, friends, and I.


This book is already being highly anticipated. But if you're one of the few people that don't have Delirium on pre-order, or aren't rushing out to the bookstore on February 1st to get yourself a copy, I suggest that you do so.

FTC: I won this book from Goodreads.

2 comments:

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)