Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume



Pages: 149
Publisher: Tandem Library
Age Group: Middle Grade
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: 1970

Margaret Simon, almost twelve, has just moved from New York City to the suburbs, and she's anxious to fit in with her new friends. When she's asked to join a secret club she jumps at the chance. But when the girls start talking about boys, bras, and getting their first periods, Margaret starts to wonder if she's normal. There are some things about growing up that are hard for her to talk about, even with her friends. Lucky for Margaret, she's got someone else to confide in . . . someone who always listens.

Stars: 3.5/5
Cover: B+

Plot:
Margaret Simons moves to a new school, and she meets a girl named Nancy. Nancy invites Margaret to join in an exclusive club where the girls talk about boys, bras, and getting their periods, she gladly joins.

But when she does, she immediately feels so behind the other girls, and starts questioning whether or not she's normal.

I first read this when I was in the fifth or sixth grade, and I remember liking this book. I didn't know what to expect the first time I read this book --- all I knew is that it was written by the lady who wrote the Superfudge series and that my mom had read it when she was my age and recommended it to me.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed it (the first and second time around). It was cute, entertaining, and a perfect coming-of-age novel.

Characters:
I thought that the characters in this book were cute. They were your typical sixth graders, and I think Judy Blume made their actions and conversations believable --- it didn't sound like an adult talking through a twelve year old.

Writing:
Judy Blume's writing is really straight-forward, but still really great. I love the way she writes, and even though the book was old-fashioned, everything was still relatable to. Also, Judy Blume writes really funny things! I found myself smiling and laughing at the things that Margaret would say, or the conversations that she would have with the other characters.

Ending:
I liked the ending. It was sweet, heartfelt, and it made you want to go, "Awww! Yay, Margaret!"

Cover:
There are soooo many different covers for this book, but I love the one that I have (pictured above) the best. It has a little circle cut-out, which is always really fun, and the bright colors and illustrations make the book stand out.

Lovely Line:
I didn't move. "You know what, Moose?" I asked.

"What now?"

"I'm sorry I thought you were a liar."

"You know what Margaret?" Moose asked me.

"No, what?"

"You're still in my way."
(Page 144)

The Final Verdict:
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret is a wonderful coming-of-age story. Reading back on it, I'm so glad I'm over that awkward sixth-grade stage! :)

When I finished this book, I actually lent it to my younger sister (who is in the sixth grade). I really think she'll like it, and I hope she gains some insight from it.

Overall, this was a great read, and I suggest it to all girls (. . . or boys) about to enter middle school, or in middle school currently.

FTC: Bought

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read this review.
    Judy Blume was one of my favorite author when I was in high school. I enjoyed all the theme that she brought.

    I read the translation of this book. I like Margareth. She was funny, I think

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)