Saturday, January 15, 2011

Glass by Ellen Hopkins

Pages: 681
Publisher: McElderly Books
Age Group: Young Adult (Mature Readers)
Challenges: 350 Page Challenge
Release Date: August 21, 2007

Crank. Glass. Ice. Crystal. Whatever you call it, it's all the same: a monster. And once it's got hold of you, this monster will never let you go.

Kristina thinks she can control it. Now with a baby to care for, she's determined to be the one deciding when and how much, the one calling the shots. But the monster is too strong, and before she knows it, Kristina is back in its grips. She needs the monster to keep going, to face the pressures of day-to-day life. She needs it to feel alive.

Once again the monster takes over Kristina's life and she will do anything for it, including giving up the one person who gives her the unconditional love she craves -- her baby.

The sequel to Crank, this is the continuing story of Kristina and her descent back to hell. Told in verse, it's a harrowing and disturbing look at addiction and the damage that it inflicts.

Stars: 4.5/5
Cover: A

Plot:
Kristina thought she was done with meth. And she was, for a while. But then the "monster" calls to her, and before she knows it, she's back under its powerful grasp.

When her mom kicks her out because she is under the influence again, she turns to Trey, the boy she met through meth.

Kristina falls into a pattern where her life revolves around getting high, selling the drug, and getting through the "crash," when the drug wears off.

Her mom takes care of her young son, Hunter, and Kristina is too high to even care about seeing him. 

When their cash supply starts running low, and they don't have enough money to pay the "Mexican Mafia," Kristina and Trey devise a plan . . . but all does not go well.

I love this series. It hasn't disappointed, and this is the second time I've read it. 

I have a kind of love-hate relationship with Ellen's books. I love the stories that she tells and how dark and twisted they are. But that's also the reason that I "hate" them --- they're really thought provoking, and it makes me sad to think that people really do struggle with this drug (and others), and that the drugs completely destroy their lives.

But anyways, Glass proved to be exciting and entertaining all the way through. There weren't any dull moments in the plot, and I loved how there were some twists thrown in.

Characters:
I love the way Ellen Hopkins lets us go deep down into the minds of her characters, letting us see how messed up they are. It really adds to the story.

I felt a lot of compassion for Kristina in Crank, but while reading Glass, I found myself wanting to yell at her, "What the heck are you doing? You're throwing it all away!" It didn't make the story any less enjoyable; it just helped develop the theme that drugs can completely take over you and change you for the worse.

Bree, Kristina's more bold and assertive "self" is much more pronounced in Glass. We see Bree coming through a lot more, and Kristina even has a few "conversations" with her. 

Writing:
As always, Ellen Hopkins writes a memorable, dramatic, and disturbing book that you want to lend to all your friends and make them love it as much as you do.

Ending:
The ending was good. It left you with a lot to think and wonder about, making me want to read Fallout (the third book in the series, told from Kristina's kids' perspectives) even more. 

Cover:
That shade of purple on the cover is gorgeous. All of Ellen's covers are simple, but they completely fit the contents of the book perfectly.

Lovely Line:
Not a wink
Of sleep tonight.
I know that without
trying. Even if I wasn't
totally wired out of my tree,
thinking about Trey would 
keep my mental wheels
turning. Churning.

I managed to
choke down dinner,
a major accomplishment.
Meth usually makes me yak.
But not tonight. Tonight, all
I could think about was 
Trey. Trey. Trey.

After dinner I
played with Hunter,
watched TV with Mom,
Scott, and Jake, like nothing
was new, nothing different.
But everything's different.
And I'm scared.
(Page 278)

The Final Verdict:
I really recommend you read this if you're a fan of Ellen Hopkins. This book is just as great as her others, if not better.

This book deals with a lot of mature things, though, so I wouldn't read this book if you're one of the light-hearted, or aren't at least in high school.

FTC: I borrowed this book from my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)