Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.



She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.


Stars: 5/5
Cover: A

Plot:
Zara step-dad dies, and that's difficult for Zara to get over. Not to mention, she thinks a creepy guy is stalking her. That fear is intensified when she gets sent to live with her grandma in Maine, and the man is still following her, a couple of thousand miles away from where she used to live. 

Weird things start happening, people go missing, and Zara keeps finding this gold dust everywhere. Soon, she starts unraveling the mysteries behind everything that's been happening to her, and her family, and to say the least, the end result is not what you would expect.

I didn't feel like the plot was dull at all, in any places. Itwas painful when I had to stop reading this book to go do something. Carrie Jones has an incredible talent at capturing the reader all the way from the first line of the book until the very last. 

Characters:
The characters were practically jumping out of the page! They were unique (Zara memorized and recited phobias; Devyn was in a wheelchair) and that made them more realistic than any "regular" character could ever be. 

I would have to say my favorite thing about all of the characters is that through the story, they changed, like actual humans do. What I mean is that I got to see Zara go from someone who was paranoid and a little depressed from her step-father dying, to someone who was confident in herself, and, dare I say it, happy. And the change didn't happen overnight, like they unrealistically do in some books, but instead over time. It happened so gradually that I didn't even notice the difference in her until the end of the book.

I knew from the first time I "met" Zara's grandma Betty that she was going to be my favorite character. She was everything you could ever want in a fictional grandma. She was witty, sweet, and loving. She gave great advice, and was always understanding towards Zara. I loved her.

Writing:
Carrie Jones' writing is fantastic. As I mentioned above, she just pulls you into the story, and doesn't let you go. The way she writes is great. It isn't choppy or awkward in anyway. Ahh, I just can't even put into words how much I loved this book!

Carrie is really good at building suspense. A lot of things happened in this book that I would have never guessed would and the twists and turns made me want to keep reading to find out what would happen next.

Need is addicting. I found myself saying, "Okay, one more chapter, and then I'll go to sleep." And then something crazy in the story would happen, and I'd want to know what happens next. I just couldn't put the book down.

And I LOVED that at the beginning of each chapter, there was a different phobia. I didn't even know that that many phobia's existed, and I loved the phobias that were just really odd.

Cover:
The cover to this book is beautiful. I love how the gold dust is completely connected in with the story. Also, it's shiny! Who doesn't love shiny things? I think it's cool how all the covers are tied together with the gold dust.

The Final Verdict:
Go. Buy. This. Book. Now.

Honestly, this book was great. It was so good, I had ordered the sequel, Captivate, up on Amazon before I even finished Need

I recommend this book to anyone looking for a captivating (pun intended, seeing as the sequel is Captivate) read that leaves them thinking about it for days on end.

Need is one of those stories that makes you fall in love with the characters, and want to be their best friends.

I don't want Zara's story to end. EVER.

FTC: I bought this book.


Tell me how you like the new format I'm trying out! Does it make it easier for you to understand my reviews? I love your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)