Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard


Pages: 286
Publisher: Harper Teen
Perspective: Third Person, Multiple Viewpoints
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: October 1, 2006

Three years ago, Alison disappeared after a slumber party, not to be seen since. Her friends at the elite Pennsylvania school mourned her, but they also breathed secret sighs of relief. Each of them guarded a secret that only Alison had known. Now they have other dirty little secrets, secrets that could sink them in their gossip-hungry world. 

When each of them begins receiving anonymous emails and text messages, panic sets in. Are they being betrayed by some one in their circle? Worse yet: Is Alison back? A strong launch for a suspenseful series.

Stars: 5/5
Cover: A-

Plot:

I first read Pretty Little Liars in the, what, sixth grade? I picked it up randomly at Borders, and boy, I am so glad I did. I've read the book multiple times since then, and since Sara Shepard is continuing the series I thought it would be a good idea to re-read the series and get all caught up.

There isn't ever a dull moment in this book. From page uno, it's gogogo. There are plenty of twists and turns in this book, and once you think you know what's going to happen next, you're thrown a curve-ball. I love the whole plot-line, and how unique it is.

I also love that this book is part mystery, part thriller, and part contemporary. It's a lot more deep than just four friends being stalked and harassed. The girls have a lot of family issues, and also personal issues in this book, which I think is nice because most books in this genre don't really go past the fact that something scary is happening to the characters.

Characters:
This book is told from four different points of view in third person. The characters are so different from each other, and have such vast personalities, that I think readers can relate to at least one of the characters, if not all.

I also think the characters are portrayed quite realistically. They have most of the same reactions that I think I would have if i was going through what they were, and it doesn't seem faked.

Writing:
I swear, Sara Shepard's writing is hypnotic. From the first page, you can't put the book down. Before you know it, two hours has passed and you've finished the book, and you're on the edge of your seat wanting to know what will happen next.

Chapters end in just the right place so that you have to read on to find out what happens next. It's like the book is an addiction, or something!

Ending:
COMPLETE. CLIFFHANGER.

During the last twenty pages, you're thinking to yourself, "Okay, I know how this is going to end. There's no way there can be another twist in the plot." And, of course, I was wrong.

It was like torture waiting to read the second book, which is why I recommend having the next book in the series in your possession so that you can start it right after you finish the book you're on.

Cover:
I love the original covers to this series. I think it's so cute how they each have a different color background and a different character, but that they all correspond to each other.

One thing I don't like is the new series covers, with the girls on the TV show on the cover. Don't get me wrong, I love the TV show, and the girls, but the original cover definitely looked so much better!

The Final Verdict:
I honestly have no clue why you haven't started this series yet. Honestly, you need to jump into the frying pan of reading at get this book NOW! 

FTC: Bought.

2 comments:

  1. I've got this book waiting for me on my shelf. I love the tv show and I can't wait to read the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for so long! How is compared to the TV show? Because I LOVE the show! I signed up for a Book2Movie reading challenge for 2012 so I think I'll (finally) get around to reading it!

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)