Thursday, November 10, 2011

If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor



Pages: 288
Publisher: Hyperion
Perspective: First Person
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: August 26, 2005
Wicked stepmother? Check. Evil stepsisters? Check. Miserable life? Check.
Lucy Norton’s life has all the makings of a Cinderella story. Her dad’s always away on business, leaving Lucy with her cruel stepmother and bratty stepsisters. She’s burdened with chores, and has a hard time fitting in at her new school. So when she sees Connor Pearson, the star player on the varsity basketball team, Lucy hopes her destiny has finally changed. With everything else going on in her life, doesn’t she at least deserve to get the handsome prince?
Melissa Kantor’s enchanting novel proves that sometimes the happy ending isn’t quite the one you’d expect. Lucy’s about to discover the truth about finding her real Prince Charming . . . and finding herself.
Stars: 4/5
Cover: C

Plot:
I didn't really know what to expect with this book, but, to be honest, my expectations weren't high (I judged a book by its cover - sue me!). I'm glad to say, though, I was surprised.

This book started out a little slowly, and I had to scoff a little bit about the main character.
HIGHLIGHT TO READ SLIGHT-SPOILER:
I found it a little unrealistic that Lucy barely talked to anyone, and then she says one word to Conner (the most popular guy at her school) and he's got this fat crush on her and then they're going out. Just sayin'.
But once I got past that, the book was really good! It was cute, funny, but also had depth. Lucy is trying to deal with her dad being away all the time, and living with her super-annoying stepmom and stepsisters. It was obvious she was calling out to her dad, and that he wasn't listening. 

I will admit, based on the title and the cover, I thought this book would be more of a twist off of the Cinderella story, instead of just being roughly based around it. It's not a bad thing at all, just not what I expected!

Characters:
I thought Lucy was pretty awesome. She narrated the story, and she made it very likable. It was cool to see her opinions on people change, her worries, her feelings . . . it was all (besides the first part of the book, mentioned above) very realistic. 

I also liked Lucy's friends that she makes. They seem to really care for her, and they made the story all the more endearing.

Writing:
This book was super fast-paced. The chapters weren't very long, and they left you hanging at the end of each one, making you really want to read on. The pacing of the book was nice, too -- not too fast, and not too slow.

Ending:
I loved the ending. It was bittersweet, but I think Lucy ended up with what was best for her. It was one of those "Aw, that's so cute!" endings that were one hundred percent predictable that you just can't help but love.

Cover:
Boooo. I really wish I liked this cover. I just don't. It doesn't personally fit my taste, and but I think it goes along pretty well with the Cinderella theme, which I suppose it what really counts.

The Final Verdict:
This book was heart-felt, romantic, and cute. It wasn't too deep, but it did have a little bit going on under the surface. It was a super fast read. I recommend this book to people who love romances and books roughly based around fairy tales.

FTC: Bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)