Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sugar And Spice by Lauren Conrad


Pages: 304
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: December 8, 2010


In the final book of the hit series L.A. Candy, Jane Roberts is a bona fide celebrity—she’s got the VIP treatment, couture clothes, and starlet looks. She also has the tabloid scandals, fake friends, and relentless paparazzi. Having learned a few things from her first season on the air, Jane is trying to surround herself with the people who she knows love her for her...and take a break from boys—since they’ve been nothing but trouble. But when her high school sweetheart Caleb and her unrequited L.A. crush Braden show up, both looking cuter and acting sweeter than ever, Jane has a hard time remembering her no-boys rule....
 

Just when everything feels out of control, Jane makes a shocking discovery. And what she finds changes everyone’s definition of “reality” forever. 

In her deliciously entertaining novel, television star Lauren Conrad pulls the curtain back on young Hollywood and shows that sometimes the real drama is behind the scenes.

Stars: 4/5
Cover: A-

Plot:
I've been a big fan of Lauren Conrad's L.A. Candy series, so when the third book came out I went right down to the bookstore and bought it. And even though I knew I didn't read it for a couple of months (I had to re-read the first two in the series), it still felt nice to actually have the book.

I found Sugar and Spice to be bittersweet. I was sad that the series was ending, but I thought Lauren Conrad tied it up wonderfully.

Sugar and Spice was just as packed with drama, petty girls, shady producers, and cute boys as the first two books. I couldn't get enough of Jane's world, and I really wish the series wasn't ending.

Characters:
I really like Lauren Conrad's characters. They all seem realistic, and even the supporting characters with the smaller roles in the story are 3-D and have personality.

A new attention-seeking character was introduced, putting even more spins on the plot, and the drama that she stirs up.

I love all of the plotting and scheming some of the characters do just so they can come out on top. It really shows you how desperate some people are for ten extra minutes of airtime, and the lengths they'll go to to achieve it.

Writing:
Conrad knows how to twist things around in her stories, make you gasp, and say, "did that really just happen?" The situations are all believable, though, which makes the story ten times better.

Ending:
The ending to this left me wanting more, even though I know there won't be a fourth book. All of the loose ends were tied up seamlessly, and Lauren couldn't have ended the series more perfectly. I really liked that in the end, the characters all did what made them happy, and I even laughed a little bit at what some of them (ach-hem, Madison and Sophie) ended up doing.

Cover:
I've loved the first two covers to the L.A. Candy series, and this one was no exception. I loved the simplicity of it, with just a pop of eye-catching color.

Lovely Line:
Maybe someone as powerful, ambitious, and beautiful as Madison was meant to be alone? Madison glanced at Jane, who was jabbering on about the guest list now. Madison has always wanted --- and deserved --- to replace Jane as the star of L.A. Candy. She was so close now; all she had to do was keep her eye on the prize and not get distracted by sentimental feelings about Jane or anyone else. And, of course, make sure Sophie kept her big mouth shut.

To hell with other people. It may be lonely at the top, but it was totally worth it.
(Page 116)

The Final Verdict:
I know a lot of people are put off by the fact that this series is written by Lauren Conrad, but I wouldn't let that bother you. It's such a fantastic, well-written series that definitely deserves being read.


Read my review of L.A. Candy here.
Read my review of Sweet Little Lies here.

FTC: Bought.

2 comments:

  1. I've read the first two books too. They were ok, but your review makes me want to read the 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I hope you pick it up, and like it as much as I did! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)