Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney


Pages: 332
Publisher: Little, Brown
Age Group: Young Adult (Mature Readers)
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: November 2, 2o1o

Some schools have honor codes.

Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.


Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.

Stars: 5/5
Cover: A-

Plot:
I didn't know what to expect when I started The Mockingbirds. I just thought it'd be an everyday contemporary fiction read, with a little bit of fluff. Boy, was I wrong. The Mockingbirds was an edgy, thought-provoking novel that had you biting your nails in anticipation.

I liked how Daisy Whitney didn't hold back or censor her story, and how readers got to "experience" something most of us have never had to go through.

Characters:
Alex had such a strong voice, and I loved it. She really stood up for herself, and provided to be a good example for girls. 

I felt the anger that Alex felt, especially towards Carter. I love books that make me feel what the main character feels, because it really puts me more into the story.

Writing:
Daisy Whitney has such an addicting way of writing. I read this book in almost one sitting, and I couldn't put it down for the life of me. It's rare to come across a book that has such an impact on me as this one did, but Daisy Whitney managed to leave me thinking about this book for days after I finished it.

One thing that I couldn't get off of my mind was that girls are date-raped all of the time, and some never speak up, allowing their attacker to get away with what they did, and possibly victimize another girl. Daisy Whitney put across a fantastic message that if this does happen to you, speak up, and don't stay silent.

Ending:
Just judging by the ending of The Mockingbirds, you wouldn't be able to guess that there would be a sequel, but I'm really excited to know that there will be. I like the way the things were left in the first book, but I am excited to see where Daisy Whitney will take things in the sequel.

Cover:
I like how different the cover is, and how it's not like your typical YA book. It really stands out, and it's one of those books that you can't mix up with any others, which I like.

Lovely Line:
She takes a sip of her tea, then adds, "Don't think this is crazy, but you're kind of doing this for all of us. That's how I see it, at least. You're doing it for all of us who didn't speak up, who were afraid. And I know you're going to make this place better for the girls who come after us. It'll be safer. Guys will think twice."

"I hope so," I say, thinking briefly of what that day later this month will bring and of how a girl who just wanted to play the piano became a lightening rod for an issue.

But it's clear that I am.
(Page 234)

The Final Verdict:
This is one of those books that just about everyone needs to read. It carries such a great message, and has a really strong impact on its readers.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fantastic review. I really want to read this, I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! =)
    I'm glad you liked it. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I never knew what this book was about, because the cover kinda put me off but i shall be reading this soon!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I love how thorough you are with your analysis. I am most definitely one of your newest followers :)

    Take care & happy reading,
    Ms. C
    http://www.coffeetalereviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic book. It is amazingly realistic and has realistic problems. You will feel as if you are living this characters life as you go through her whole journey.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)