Friday, February 18, 2011

Down A Dark Hall by Lois Duncan


Pages: 192
Publisher: Mass Market Paperback
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenges: N/A
Release Date: 1974

Why does the exclusive boarding school Blackwood have only four students?

Kit walks the dark halls and feels a penetrating chill. What terror waits around the next corner?

Stars: 3.5/5
Cover: B-

Plot: 
I liked Down A Dark Hall. It was a really fast read, and the plot progressed nicely. A lot of the scenarios were pretty cliche, though, and I had to keep reminding  myself that when this book was published, the storyline wasn't super overdone and cheesy like it is now.

Characters:
The main characters (the four students) were good MCs. Kit told the story well, though she reminded me if a young child because of how naive she seemed at times.

The professors were creepy, and that definitely added to the story.

Writing:
Duncan was very good at the descriptions of the setting and the characters. She provided a wonderfully eerie description of the boarding school, so much to the point where I could picture it in my mind, and I got the chills when imagining myself in the school. 

Ending:
I liked the ending; it was exciting up until the very end, and still left room for us to wonder what happens next.

But, I would have liked to know what had happened to the other characters, the professors, and how Kit's parents reacted to the whole ordeal. I think if the author had written an epilogue, and included all of that in it, this book would have had the perfect ending.

Cover:
The cover is simple, yet still gives us an insight into the creepiness of the book. But if I had my way, I would have liked the cover to pop a little more, and be more eye-catching. 

Lovely Line:
"Of course, I'll like it," she said thickly. "You and Dan have a wonderful honeymoon. You deserve it, Mom, if anybody ever did. I'm sorry I've been such a pill. I'll be happy here  --- I promise."

There had been a question nagging at the back of her mind. It slid away now and was forgotten. It did not really matter why her bedroom at Blackwood had a lock on the outside --- but not on the inside --- of its door.
(Page 19)

The Final Verdict:
Lois Duncan is a classic thriller writer. I think that everyone should read at least one of her books, and if you have to choose one, I definitely suggest Down A Dark Hall. :)

FTC: Bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)