Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love by Ken Baker


"Thick. Heavy. Big boned. Plump. Full figured. Chunky. Womanly. Large. Curvy. Plus-size. Hefty." 

To sixteen-year-old Emery Jackson, these are all just euphemisms for the big "F" word—"fat." Living on a Southern California beach with her workout fiend dad, underwear model sister, and former model mother, it is impossible for Emery not to be aware of her weight.

Emery is okay with how things are. That is, until her "momager" signs her up for Fifty Pounds to Freedom, a reality show in which Emery will have to lose fifty pounds in fifty days in order to win the million dollars that will solve her family's financial woes. Emery is skeptical of the process, but when the pounds start to come off and the ratings skyrocket, she finds it hard to resist the adoration of her new figure and the world of fame. Emery knows that things have changed. But is it for the better?


Pages: 272
Publisher: Running Press Kids
Release Date: April 22, 2014
Stars: 3.5/5

I had super high expectations for this book, and though it didn't completely disappoint, I wasn't exactly blown away, either. It was a fast read with a sassy main character (Emery) and her interesting family.

I expected the book to have a little more depth to it, though it wasn't a TOTAL fluff read. I thought the story line was cute and Emery was entertaining with her snarky comments and fiery personality. It was also interesting to read a book from an "obese" character's point of view, seeing as most novels don't really focus on that too much.

I thought Emery was fairly realistic, though I didn't get too much of the same vibe from her supporting characters. Where they lacked in realness, they soared in entertainment and humor.

I loved Emery's heart-to-hearts she had with herself. I could relate to a lot of the things she said, and it was really realistic! Honestly, I forgot the novel was written by a guy because Emery's feelings were spot. on.

Near the end of the book, I feel like there was an attempted plot twist, but it just didn't do it for me. It was too weird and irrelevant for it to flow and really take me by surprise. Additionally, I didn't feel like the ending tied up any of t
he loose strings! I'm frustrated because I really wanted to know Emery's final result and what would happen with her family but I feel like Baker avoided that entire area.

Don't get me wrong, this definitely was an enjoyable read! It was definitely strongest in the beginning and middle, but near the end started to fade off.

Regardless, if you're looking for a fun little feel-good read with a sassy protagonist, this is for you!

PS: don't try what she does in the book . . . that's called anorexia athletica!! underrating & over exercising -- not good!

FTC: Bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, and I try my best to respond to everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. :)